Randy R. Clark, M.D
Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Randy Clark is proud to return home to beautiful Southern Utah. He is the only Orthopedic Surgeon in Southern Utah with sub specialty certification in Sports Medicine. He is a product of Dixie High School, Southern Utah University and the University of Utah School of Medicine. Ever since he was a Dixie Flyer football player inspired by his mentor Dr. Michael Anderson, he has worked toward his dream of becoming an orthopedic surgeon. His training has taken him from the football fields of Dixie High School and SUU where he was an all-region and all-American football player to study medicine and nurture his career as an orthopedic surgeon. During his college years, he also spent two years as a missionary for the LDS church in Peru.
While at Southern Utah University, he fell in love with the most beautiful cheerleader on the squad and finally convinced Amy to be his wife. During their time in medical school, Randy was involved in Operation Smile, a community volunteer Spanish medical interpreter and performed orthopedic biomechanical research. Due to his exposure to wonderful mentors and his motivation to excel, Randy was accepted to a top orthopedic surgery residency program at the University of Iowa, where he was fortunate to train under some of the legends of Orthopedics.
During his five-year tenure as an orthopedic resident he was blessed with the opportunity to care for University of Iowa Hawkeye athletes. This experience and wonderful mentors inspired him to become a sub-specialist in sports medicine. One of the greatest opportunities of Randy’s career was to complete an additional year of training in the form of a sports medicine fellowship at the world renowned Southern California Orthopedic Institute (SCOI) with pioneers in minimally invasive shoulder, hip, knee, foot and ankle surgery. Randy had the opportunity to help care for collegiate and professional athletes, movie stars and wonderful people from all over the world. During his fellowship at SCOI he published and presented his orthopedic research, authored textbook chapters and has produced several educational surgical videos.
This fifteen-year journey away from St. George has been a wonderful experience and brought three beautiful children by the name of Cooper, Caroline and Calvin. Randy and Amy feel fortunate to return to Southern Utah with their young family. Randy especially appreciates the opportunity to bring sports medicine expertise to Southern Utah and hopes that you will provide him with the privilege of caring for you!
Provide excellent orthopedic care to the Southern Utah community with a focus on joint preservation and sports medicine.
- University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
Doctor of Medicine, May 2006
- Southern Utah University, Cedar City, UT
Bachelor of Science
Triple Major in Chemistry, Biology and Spanish, May 2002
- Dixie High School, St. George, UT
Graduated in 1995
Post Graduate Education and Training
- Sports medicine/Arthoscopy fellowship training
Southern California Orthopedic Institute (SCOI) Sports Medicine
- Orthopedic surgery residency training
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics- 5 year program
200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242
Department of Orthopedics
- Orthopedic Surgery Sports Medicine fellowship training certification from the Arthroscopy Association of North America and the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery Board Certified
- ACLS/BLS current
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- American Medical Association
Non-Academic Honors (Southern Utah University)
- 2000 The Sports Network First Team All-American Offensive Line
- 2000 AP Honorable Mention All-American Football Player, Offensive Line, Division I-AA
- 2000 and 2001 All-Independent Conference All-Conference,
- 2001 AP and Sports Network preseason All-American
- 33 consecutive game starter
- 2002 Senior Paradise Bowl selection and participant
Team Coverage Experience
- Team Doctor for Zion Lions
- Dixie High School football team coverage
- Farmer Class ATP World Tour coverage 7/25/2012
- West Ranch High School football team physician Valencia, CA 2012
- College of the Canyons and Los Angeles Valley College football team physician coverage 2012
- University of Iowa men’s baseball, women’s softball and gymnastics 2007-2011 co-team physician
Surgical Skills Lab Instructor
- AANA masters shoulder course, Rosemont, Ill, January 31, 2014
- Napa Orthopedic Controversies lab instructor, Napa, CA, September 19-21, 2012
- Metcalf Meeting, Linvatec lab, Scottsdale, AZ January 15, 2012
- San Diego Shoulder Course, Mitek arthroscopy lab, San Diego, CA June 16, 2012
- Participated in the University of Iowa Department of Orthopedics Resident Education Committee 2006-current.
- Organization and leadership of University of Iowa Department of Orthopedics Journal Club 2009-2010.
Fellowship Research Projects:
- Human Dermal Allograft For Reconstruction of Irreparable Massive Rotator Cuff Tears: Functional and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Results of 109 Patients
- Correlation of anterior capsular thickening on hip MRA and intraoperative findings with hip arthroscopy
- Cyclic Load and Failure Behavior of Arthroscopic Knots Comparing Traditional Knots to “Slippage Proof Knot”
- Post-Operative Pain Scores After pre-Operative Intra-articular Bolus of Lidocaine Prior to Knee Arthroscopy for Partial Menisectomy as Compared to Traditional Pain Management
Resident Research Projects
- Incidence of post-operative peripheral nerve block neurogenic complaints and pain scores
- Podium presentation February 20, 2011 at the American Academy of Sports Medicine Specialty Day
- Nominated for best resident research paper and podium presentation at the 4/2011 Mid America Orthopedic Association meeting
- Mechanical Evaluation of Two Laminoplasty Plates in a Cervical Spine Sawbone Model
- Mechanical Evaluation of Two Laminoplasty Plates in a Cervical Spine Cadaveric Model.
Medical Student research projects
- Temperature and pressure effects of reaming: A comparison study of reamer irrigator aspirator vs. step-wise reaming
- A comparison pilot study of lateral buttress plate stabilization vs. two plate stabilization for tibial plateau fractures
- Biomechanical comparison of a cervical extension plate construct compared to a 2-level ABC plate.
- Biomechanical comparison of dynamic and static anterior cervical plates in a trauma model.
- Medical chart records review: Anterior plate fusion vs. Posterior plate fusion outcome comparison
- Biomechanical comparison of three constructs for occipital cervical fusion.
- A 800 patient retrospective radiographic outcome review of ABC plate anterior cervical neck fusion radiographic outcome-part of a multiple hospital study
- Graft Jacket Allograft rotator cuff reconstruction shoulder scores and MRI outcomes at greater than two years, Randy Clark and Stephen Snyder, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, March 22, 2013, Chicago, IL, Presented by Randy Clark
- Graft Jacket Allograft rotator cuff reconstruction shoulder scores and MRI outcomes at greater than two years, Randy Clark and Stephen Snyder, Western Orthopedic Association, June 13-16, 2012, Portland Oregon. Presented by Randy Clark
- Peripheral Nerve Blocks: Incidence of Neurologic Complaints and Pain Scores Randy Clark, John Albright, Mid America Orthopedic Association Annual Meeting, April 6, 2011. Presented by Randy Clark
- Peripheral Nerve Blocks: Incidence of Neurologic Complaints and Pain Scores Randy Clark, John Albright, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Sports Medicine Specialty Day, February 20, 2011. Presented by Randy Clark
- Biomechanical Analysis of a New Concept: An Add-on Extension Plate for Adjacent Level Anterior Cervical Fusion, Daniel Fassett, M.D., Ronald Apfelbaum, M.D., Randy Clark, B.S., Kent Bachus, PhD, Darrel Brodke, M.D., Richard Lende Neurosurgical Meeting, Snowbird Resort, UT, February 4, 2003. Presented by Daniel Fassett, M.D.
- Biomechanical Analysis of a New Concept: An Add-on Extension Plate for Adjacent Level Anterior Cervical Fusion, Daniel Fassett, M.D., Ronald Apfelbaum, M.D., Randy Clark, B.S., Kent Bachus, PhD, Darrel Brodke, M.D., International Meeting of Advanced Spine Technique, Bermuda, July 2, 2004. Presented by Daniel Fassett, M.D.
- Biomechanical Analysis of a New Concept: An Add-on Extension Plate for Adjacent Level Anterior Cervical Fusion, Daniel Fassett, M.D., Ronald Apfelbaum, M.D., Randy Clark, B.S., Kent Bachus, PhD, Darrel Brodke, M.D., Cervical Spine Research Society, Boston, MA December 11, 2004. Presented by Daniel Fassett, M.D.
- Graft Jacket Allograft rotator cuff reconstruction shoulder scores and MRI outcomes at greater than two years, Randy Clark and Stephen Snyder, Annual Arthoscopy Association of North America, April, 2012, San Antonio, TX. Presented by Randy Clark
- Cervical radiculopathy and treatment options in elite wrestlers: A review of the literature and our experience with Epidural Steroid Injections, Randy Clark, Christian Sybrowsky, Matt Doyle, Richard Rosenquist, e-poster AANA annual meeting, May 17-19, 2012 in Orlando, Florida
- Mechanical Evaluation of Two Laminoplasty Plates in a Cervical Spine Sawbone Model, Randy Clark, Doug Fredericks, Joseph Smucker, John Bobst, IMAST, Paradise Island, Bahamas 2007
- A Biomechanical Comparison of Dynamic and Static Anterior Cervical Plates in a Trauma Model, Daniel R. Fassett, M.D., M.B.A., Randy Clark, B.S., Andrew T. Dailey, M.D., Kent N. Bachus, Ph.D., Darrel S. Brodke, M.D., North American Spine Society Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 19, 2004. Presented by Daniel Fassett, M.D.
- Temperature and Pressure Effects of Reaming: Standard Stepwise vs. Reamer Irrigator Aspirator, Deer Valley Student Summer Symposium, Park City UT, September 2003.
- Partial articular supraspinatus tendon avulsion repair with a percutaneous spinal needle shuttle, VuMedi.com 9/2011 www.vumedi.com/channel/38915
- Massive Retracted Revision Rotator Cuff Tear: Do you Graft or not Graft?,VuMedi.com 11/2011 www.vumedi.com/video/289718
- The SCOI Five Minute Fifteen Point Arthroscopic Knee Exam, VuMedi.com 11/2011 www.vumedi.com/video/288504
- How to tie arthroscopic knots, Shoulder fellowship curricula, VuMedi.com 12/2011 www.vumedi.com/node/286862
- UltraSling Presentation for Rehabilitation, Shoulder fellowship curricula,Vumedi.com 12/2011 www.vumedi.com/node/286862
- ProWick Application for Post-operative Care, Shoulder fellowship curricula,Vumedi.com 12/2011 www.vumedi.com/node/286862
- Endoscopic Hamstring repair, pending publication in Thomas Byrd Operative Hip Arthroscopy Textbook, Carlos Guanche, Randy Clark, 2012
- The Five Minute Fifteen Point Arthroscopic Knee Exam, AAOS Multimedia Education Center, Chicago, IL March 19-23, 2013
- Heel Pain Treatment: Surgical Indications, Literature Review and Technique for Endoscopic Plantar Fascia Release, AAOS Multimedia Education Center, Chicago, IL March 19-23, 2013
- Biomechanical Performance of Traditional Arthroscopic Knots Versus
Slippage Proof Knots, Randy Clark, Brian Dierckman, Nels Sampaticos,
Stephen Snyder, Arthroscopy 2013 Jul;29(7):1175-81.
- Peripheral Nerve Blocks: Incidence of Neurologic Complaints and Pain Scores Randy Clark, Chloe Mellecker, John Albright, Iowa Journal of Orthopedics, June 2012
- Cervical radiculopathy and treatment options in elite wrestlers: A review of the literature and our experience with Epidural Steroid Injections, Randy Clark, Christian Sybrowsky, Matt Doyle, Richard Rosenquist, Iowa Journal of Orthopedics, June 2012
- Bilateral olecranon epiphyseal fracture non-union in a competitive athlete, Clark R, McKinley TO, Iowa Orthopedic Journal 2010 (30):179-181
The cervical end of an occipitocervical fusion: a biomechanical evaluation of 3 constructs. Laboratory investigation., Finn MA, Fassett DR, Mccall TD, Clark R, Dailey AT, Brodke DS., J Neurosurg Spine. 2008 Sep;9(3):296-300.
Cervical spine deformity associated with resection of spinal cord tumors. Fassett DR, Clark R, Brockmeyer DL, Schmidt MH. Neurosurg Focus. 2006 Feb 15;20(2):E2. Review.
- Biomechanical analysis of a new concept: an add-on dynamic extension plate for adjacent-level anterior cervical fusion. Fassett DR, Apfelbaum R, Clark R, Bachus KN, Brodke DS. Spine. 2005 Nov 15;30(22):2523-9.
- Temperature and Pressure Effects of Reaming: Standard Stepwise vs. Reamer Irrigator Aspirator, Randy Clark, BS., Thomas Higgins, MD., Virginia Casey, MD., Kent Bachus, Ph.D., Abstract Deer Valley Student Summer Symposium, Park City UT, September 2003
- Journal of Arthroscopy Cover image of Congenital bifid biceps, 3/2012
- Journal of Arthroscopy Cover image of Proximal femoral physis as seen during hip arthroscopy and femoroplasty, 5/2012
- Journal of Arthroscopy Cover image of Lateral Retinacular vessels of the Proximal Femur as seen during hip arthroscopy, pending publication
- Journal of Arthroscopy Cover image of clavicle cyst as seen during shoulder arthroscopy, pending publication
- Journal of Arthroscopy Semimembranosis tendon as seen through capsular rent at the time of partial medial menisectomy, pending publication
- Journal of Arthroscopy Cover image of os trigonum and posterior facet of calcaneus subtalar arthritis, pending publication
- Insall and Scott Surgery of the Knee fifth edition, 2012, Textbook Chapter 51 Osteotomy and the Cruciate-Deficient Knee, pages 458-464, Randy Clark and Annunziato Amendola
- Arthroscopic Surgery: The Foot and Ankle, 2012 Textbook chapter 19
Endoscopic Plantar Fascia Release, Gastrocnemius Recession and Intermetarsal Nerve Decompression, pending publication, Randy Clark and Richard Ferkel
- Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine, Patch Augmentation for Rotator Cuff Repair: Indications, Techniques and Outcomes, Rotator Cuff and Biceps Section, Randy Clark, Brian Dierckman, Neil Ghodadra, Joseph Burns, Matt Provencher Editor, Pending publication 2012
- Shoulder Arthroscopy, Principles and Practice, 2014, Editor Giuseppe Milano, Biologic Augmentation in Rotator Cuff Repair, chapter aurthors: Brian D. Dierckman, Randy R. Clark, Joseph P. Burns, Stephen J. Snyder, Springer Press, pg. 485-496
- Southern Utah University Biology Department, Mentor: Dr. Terry D. Schwaner
- 1999-2002 Studied Arizona Red Toad (Bufo microscaphus)
Studied skeleto-chronologic size discrepancy of female and male toads in Southern Utah through freeze-microtome skeletochronology, areas sampled included Zion’s National Park.
- I spent two years in Chiclayo Peru working as a Latter-day Saint missionary and was able to assist people during the natural disaster of El Nino. I learned to speak fluent Spanish.
- Boy Scout of America Eagle Scout 1991